Thread: Article: How to Beat Babesia

Article: How to Beat Babesia

Hello;

Thank you for reading and responding. Regarding your fears, there is nothing to be afraid of. 1) you can cure babesia, but IMO if your dog is still active then I don't know why you'd bother as he could get it again, and 2) regarding dogs "in remission," this same truth applies to coccidia too. If you get a dog with coccidia, and you give it Albon, you have not "cured" the dog either (meaning you have not killed the protozoa, you've only knocked it into remission as well). So I find it curious that people get so alarmed about babesia, just because conventional drugs only knock it into remission, when this exact same truth applies to coccida also. And really, coccidia is much easier to spread everywhere than babesia, because it is transferred through the feces, so all that is required to "spread coccidia" is for you to walk from one chain spot to another with some poop on your shoes ... or to put any pup into a pen where coccidia's been ... and the disease gets spread. Same thing with worms. So honestly, ask yourself why don't you worry and get alarmed about that?

The reason why we don't worry about parasites like worms and coccidia is because we're so used to handling them. We see them all the time, we've heard about them for years, and we know what to treat them with. With babesia, however, we never really hear about this parasite until we get pretty deep into dogs. So it seems new and strange. Worse, the medication to treat it isn't in every feed store and vet catalogue (yet!), so the ability to treat it is much more limited. We actually have to go to the vet (or order the drugs from foreign markets) just to treat our infected dogs. However, because the reality is babesia is everywhere, the rational response to this is not to "worry" about it, but rather to prepare ourselves for it. This is why I cannot stress enough the importance of pre-ordering these drugs in advance, and having them onhand at all times (just like we do for worms and coccidia), because when we do babesia really is no more difficult to control than these other parasite problems we're used to handling.

And finally, regarding the performance aspect, I can think of several dogs that were campaigned and won their Championships with babesia, including SteelCity's Ch Misterman and Xmen's Ch Barbarian, so it will not affect performance if the dog is allowed to recover sufficiently to get his blood count back. Truly, it's not that big of a deal if you know how to handle it and have prepared yourself to do so.

Cheers,

Jack

There is no way to compete and avoid babesia.

Regarding remission, there are MANY parasites that cannot be 100% taken out of a dog (for instance, coccidia), so why worry about it? If you have the drugs on hand, babesia is easier to treat than coccidia. What I was saying is babesia is only a "worry" for people who know nothing about it. It is the #1 parasite in Africa, and in some areas of the south it is now more common than hookworm and whipworm.

I guess what I am saying is get used to it, and prepare for it, because there is no "avoiding" it ... unless you just get out of dogs.

Jack

The only way to be sure your dog does not get babesia via combat, is to make sure who ever your going into has done the test also and has come back negative! No test,no go.
    Thats how its done down here!

I ran across this article looking for a remedy for Babesia. If anyone has Minazene I desperately need it. I've never had a bulldog come down with anything like this before & I've already spent $1500 @vet for them to send him home leaking out of rectum,* vomiting, & not eating. I have ordered the Minazene but would love to get my Hound out of harm's way if anyone has it. I hope this msg is not overlooked because of original date 704 349-1895 Bulldog

For the doxycycline, is it 100mg for all sized dogs or does it differ?

thanks so much dear Jack for all info put in this super interesting article...

Quote Originally Posted by CRISIS View Post
    For the doxycycline, is it 100mg for all sized dogs or does it differ?
    Sorry I missed this. I would imagine it differs. I probably need to update.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverknls View Post
    thanks so much dear Jack for all info put in this super interesting article...
    Thank you for saying so ... and for providing first-hand info on Leishmanaiasis.

I am right now working on an article dealing with this as well.

Cheers,

Jack

PS: Read this blog post as well