Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait and Switch Breeders

Bait and Switch Breeders

To start this article , we first need the definition of "Bait and Switch." Ill use two definitions. One is from Google, and one is from the online encyclopedia.

1. "Bait and Switch." : the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods that are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

2. "Bait and Switch." :First, customers are "baited" by merchants's advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods either are not available or are not as good as was expected, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher-priced, items ("switching").The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin."

This article is to those "special" breeders out there that claim to have the absolute best dogs in the world. I want everyone reading to stop and think for a second and listen to that statement, "the absolute best dogs in the world." Really? You must be a genius! Let me be clear on this, NO ONE kennel can say they have the best dogs in the world. If you are so intellectually challenged, that you believe anyone who makes that statement, then YOU are the reason that they put directions on shampoo bottles, and it probably takes you two hours to watch "60 minutes." There are great dogs and great breeders EVERYWHERE. When I first started with these dogs, I dibbled and dabbled with Ch.Stubblefied buddy and Colby dogs bred into some Douglas' Reno blood. Later I was introduced to JoAnne and Roger LeBlanc and I saw really good quality of dogs bred down from Carl Mims with an out of Bert Sorrells stock. Those dogs were fantastic. If not for some dog thieves, I would probably stil have a yard full of those dogs today. Later, I stumbled upon Victor Aycart of Southern Kennels and Jessie and Tony of Stone City Kennels. The rest is history , Machobuck dogs are my family of dogs now. That will never change. That being said, it doesnt mean that my dogs, Southern Kennels, or Stone City Kennels dogs are any better than the Redboy and Snooty dogs of JoAnne LeBlanc. It just means that this is the line of dogs I choose to have now ,given it was my first taste of real success. I guarantee you that the Mims line can compete ANYWHERE in the world in a weight pull contest and win. I still keep a tight Snooty dog as my family pet, and no money can buy him. The same can be said of MANY strains. Pit Island Kennels has great Redboy and Rascal dogs. Mr.Boudreaux still has great dogs. Tom Garner's Chinaman, Frisco, and Cottingham blood is second to none. Wrecking Crew has some of the best Cottons Bullet blood through Gonner (ROM) strain of dogs. Red Tide Kennels has amazing stock and frozen semen still. Go Kennels German Oleas has fantastic stock of Gr.Ch.Croata blood. East Texas has a line of Lady charge dogs that will eat your lunch. Motivation kennels has champions and Gr. Ch.Grip dogs in Kansas that are excellent. There are dogs in the middle East with Don Amin that are great. There are Blacker dogs in Brazil that place consistently against the biggest braggarts in the world. China has fantastic stock, Japan does as well. NO ONE breeder has the market on "THE BEST DOGS IN THE WORLD." If you believe that, you are cranio-rectally inverted.

What these breeders do is a simple bait and switch, you talk to them on the phone, and the first thing they tell you is about different "levels" of dogs. They put everyone else in a sub category. X dogs are no good, Y dogs are just hype, Z dogs got lucky, XYZ dogs had success because of ME. ... Then comes the switch... Let me tell you how great MY dogs are, and the self masturbation begins. His dogs placed better than all others against the best shapers! STROKE. His dogs can pull more weight than any others pound per pound. STROKE SOME MORE. If somebody else outplaced the same kennels that he did, they were lucky. He outplaced them with your quality of his stock. STROKING FASTER. His dogs won because of his conditioning skills. STROKING ALONG. His dogs are a higher caliber than anyone elses, not only because of the dogs, but because the man behind them is shaping them.. "HIM." !! BOOM! CLIMAX!!!!.... People, you can't cover up the sun with one finger. It still shines everywhere around you.

There are those out there with serious insecurities. These people need the adulation, adoration, and acceptance of the world to feel important. They crave the attention because the most important opinion, the mirror, doesn't agree. You can't fool the mirror. The simple way to look at it is like this :

If the person trying to sell you a dog, has to talk bad about everyone else's dogs in order to sell theirs, prudence and caution dictate that the quality of their dogs deserve a bit more scrutiny.

The pitbull world is full of egomaniac self centered narcissistic fanciers. It's filled with people that want to build walls and not bridges. What they fail to realize is that you can win graciously, with class. You can lose with dignity and respect. Furthermore, if you build relationships with those around you, instead or creating conflicts, you might just start enjoying the dogs again.

Just a few thoughts.

Machobuck.com

I really agree with the whole of your post. I think fancy claims and catchy worded advertising is what sells. A lot of the issue falls on the buyer, who is just as crano-rectually inverted as the breeders who false promote.

There are more paper bred dogs today than ever in the history of Bulldogs. And they are in the hands of anyone and everyone with a fast buck, I also think that is wrong.

I think building bridges and forging meaningful relationships in the dogs is important, but let's face it those bridges are narrow and hardly traveled.

Cutting off those who are no good for the dogs is really the only way to maximize the true fancier. Selection is they key to anything successful.

S_B

Great post. I enjoyed the read.

I agree whole heartedly.

Unfortunately that is one of the little wheels that makes the big wheel go around.

EWO

Ditto, very well put. When I was in and around the game. Was like watching various foot ball teams in competition. One would be on top for awhile get knocked off the hill and the whole process started all over again. Cheers

Lately I see this thing called global champion all over the net , winner in many countries, BIS GIS etc etc etc
    in the eighties and nineties some of the old countries traveled to USA, Mexico etc

they won some lost some , the dogs were just called winners , and or looser's
    there is this insane drive based on EGO , Facebook has brought people to instant legendary status , seems like history changes daily
    there is no such thing as best line or best dogs , there is just a dog that can dominate in a certain area in time
    just like there are bloodlines that can dominate a certain area and time

youre article is right

Well said....
    LOYALTY BEFORE ROYALTY !!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BRICKFACE View Post
    Great read!
    Thanks

Along the same lines is that pitch is their way of competing.

My resume says I have done nothing in the dogs. I chose not to see if my dogs measured up. I chose not see if I measured up. (As the originating post I will use EVO here, no offense intended). Evo on the other hand not put his dogs out there he put himself out there. He and his dogs competed against and won over the top level on a number of occasions. His dogs in turn produced dogs that did the same for others.

My only means to compete in puppy sales is to shit all over Evo's accomplishments. "Macho????? was not bred like his papers say, he was off so-and so, that is why I use so and so blood". "Evo picked his matches against newbies and scrubs, who did he ever go into?" ((A great question to a new guy because odds are he does not know or have a knowledgeable answer)).

The object in bait and switch is to sell dogs. The pitch often requires the seller to not only say he has the greatest but to shit all over another's accomplishment in an attempt to diminish those accomplishments to """"even""""" the playing field.

Great post EVO. Sadly, it is too true.

And no offense. At some point some ass will copy and past my middle paragraph and say. "look what EWO said about Evolution". Please make a mental note of the context.
    Just making a point.

EWO

"not only put his dogs out there....