Thread: Article: ZERBAXA (Ceftolozane/tazobactam)

Article: ZERBAXA (Ceftolozane/tazobactam)

I recently asked my vet about this , he had no idea about it or what it would be used for , so thanks jack for the information.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SFOD View Post
    I recently asked my vet about this , he had no idea about it or what it would be used for , so thanks jack for the information.
    That is understandable. I had never heard of it till a couple of weeks ago, myself, until I began the task of updating an older article, and started researching these Cephalosporins.

Unfortunately, still have no idea where to get this drug w/o a prescription, but a vet would be able to get it, I would imagine. Trouble is, most vets will remain unaware of its existence, which is why I posted this article.

I became obsessed with new antibiotics ever since I watched a perfectly-healthy bitch die after a minor kennel accident. Her wrists got infected with a super-infection. They progressively got worse under my care, so I took her to a vet. He bathed her, and put her on Baytril + gentimicin ... and all of the flesh around her wrist continued to rot away, until both her paws had to be amputated.

Concurrently, the other bitch who was in the fight was also struggling with the same super-infection, but on her muzzle, and so I ran a Culture & Sensitivity on her, and found that she was affected by Pseudomonas fluorescens and Enterococcus faecium, which no "one" antibiotic would cover ... and which could NOT be covered by the drug choices of my vet.

Needless to say, I was highly-upset about having to put down a good bitch, over my ignorance, and have been obsessed with trying to learn as much as I could about antibiotics ever since.

Had I used Zerbaxa for the Pseudamonas + one of the Streptogramins [or even Sultamicillin, a potentiated Ampicillin which are both highly-effective against multi-drug-resistant Enterococci (and on which I will be writing another article)], I would have saved both dogs.

Not knowing what each and every drug does can be costly, so I hope this information helps someone,

Jack